As a general rule, if it is a plant or used to be a plant, then it’s compostable…
…but composting diverts more than just food scraps!
Here’s the short list of waste goods that you could keep out of the landfill and put back into healthy soils when you join Santa Cruz Community Compost Co.
And just in case you forget what to put in, a groovy laminated compostables list will be attached to your collection bucket for easy reference.
If the list below doesn’t answer your question, join us at our Compostables Q&A.
- Vegetable and fruit scraps and peels
- Tea bags and coffee filters
- Egg shells
- Any other non-meat food scraps
- Any non-glossy paper products including cardboard (torn up or shredded)
- Fireplace ashes
- Hair (from you or your pets)
We do NOT accept:
- Glossy Paper
- Meat and Bones
- Large amounts of dairy or oil
- “Compostable” plastic utensils and dishes
- Urine or feces of any kind